Friday, September 18, 2015

Sewing for Kindergarten: The Ultimate Swing Dress and No Sew Leather Vest


Welcome! I'm participating in a series post called Sewing for Kindergarten. Mie, from 
Sewing Like Mad, was kind enough to let me join in on the fun. This is her third year hosting this annual series, and it's pretty awesome! I looked back on her first two years and saw some awesome creations.



I was super excited to participate! I drew up so many designs. I had so many plans. I was determined to make Mary-Elizabeth five outfits, one for each day of the school week. But, alas, we had to move again! This time it was a permanent move. We finally have a house! So, needless to say, I was only able to create one outfit for the series.


Is this your first time sending a child to Kindergarten?
Yes. Mary-Elizabeth is my oldest. Though M.E. has done two years of preschool, starting Kindergarten wasn't too different, except she goes 5 days a week rather than 3. She is what they call an "Early Bird" (half day morning kinder). Which happens to be the same hours as preschool.

Do you feel like crying or celebrating?
Both. I celebrate her education. I have invested a lot into it over the past 3 years. But, I literally bawled after dropping her off. I mean, c'mon, my first born is not a baby anymore. She is growing up into such a beautiful little girl and I really want to stop the hands of time and go back to the days when she would let me cuddle her.

And what about your child?
She was really nervous. Since we moved states, she knew she wouldn't be seeing her preschool friends, and that she would have to make new ones. But, she adapts so well and makes friends very easily.

What kind of school does your child attend?
Public. I'm a supporter of all education, but the majority of children in our nation attend public schools, and every child's education matters, whether they belong to us or our neighbor down the street. Every child matters. My hopes and dreams were to put M.E. in a private school or a Year Round School, but that didn't happen. And that's okay. As long as I'm still invested in her education, she will be fine.

Question to my kindergartner: What has been the best and worst part so far?
The best part is recess and making friends. The worst part is homework.


From my five designs, M.E. requested the Swing Dress. She wanted something comfortable, girly, and twirling capabilities is a must. She wanted long sleeves for the real winter she will be experiencing for the first time (we aren't in Southern California anymore, Toto). And I decided to make her a leather vest for good measure. They pair really nice together.


The dress fabric is an interlock knit from Fabric.com and the leather is from The Leather Hide Store
The toggles, I bought at JoAnn's.  As for the patterning, I drafted both myself. Drafting a swing dress is really easy. Merrick and Riva both have tutorials, and I've made my own here. The vest, well the drafting wasn't hard, but the cutting was. I have a special leather knife that I used to shape the vest and cut the arm holes.


M.E. loves this new dress and vest, and the recent weather certainly calls for it!

Thanks for having me Mie! Check out the rest of the line up below.

5 comments:

Mie Brindle said...

Awwww, she looks adorable!! I love the contrasts in this outfit and knit dresses are just perfect for school. I'm glad to hear that she is settling in well in your new state and that you have made a permanent move now - moving is bad - moving with kids is the worst, ugh.
Thank you SO much for participating!

Justine/ Sew Country Chick said...

Me looks beautiful! I really love this outfit. I SO want that vest for myself! Hope you guys are loving your new home!

Carla Wiking said...

That is the most stylish kindergartner I've ever seen!! Great job! So far we have been really happy with public school and I think you are exactly right, what matters most is your involvement.

Hayley Crouse said...

She is so stylish! I adore those boots so much!

inesmelo said...

What a cute outfit! My daughter would love a dress like that. I'm totally checking out those tutorials thank you.