Monday, November 24, 2014

DIY Leather Raglan


Hey friends! Happy Thanksgiving Week. As you've noticed, there has been some changes, and I'm not talking about my hair. I've changed my blog name - so, now, it obviously has a new web address. The name change is more personal now, and more me. Lil'Bit is a nickname my mom gave me when I was just a wee one, and Beth is obviously part of my name. So there you have it. Along with the exciting change, The Leather Hide Store teamed up with me to do a DIY project. I chose to do a contrast raglan shirt. I am seriously in love with this white leather, and I knew it had to be on me. 
Leather isn't the easiest to work with, if you don't have the experience. I've worked with leather before, but never on a machine. I worked with it all by hand, in the past. 
When I was an adolescent, I was raised among the Native American influence, in Washington State. My grandmother lived by a reservation and one of my brothers was married to a woman of the Cherokee Nation. I watched them make beautiful Native jewelry, moccasins, pouches, etc. And I was allowed to join in on the creative fun. 
So, when The Leather Hide Store wanted to work with me, I was beyond excited.

Read on for tutorial


Now, it's really important that if you choose to use your sewing machine to sew with leather, be sure to get leather shank needle size 14 or 16. I used size 16. 

To hold up the weight of the leather, you will need a heavier stretch knit, like a ponte de roma. I used a stretch knit, so that the shirt would go on easily. 

This was a simple make, that only took 4 seams through the leather.

You will need:
10 square feet of leather
1/2 yard ponte de roma knit (matching or contrasting)
Leather shank needle
Size 9 needle (for knit)
thread

I used a loose raglan tee for my pattern pieces. Folding the tee in half and placing the tee on the fold of the leather(cut one) and then on the fold of the fabric(cut one). The same with the sleeves(cut two on fold).

With right sides together, pin the sleeves together, and sew, using the size 9 needle.


Then pin and sew the top of the sleeve to the back top of the shirt.

Repeat on the other side.

Now, with right sides together, leather and knit fabric, pin the side seams and top sleeve seams together and sew using the leather shank needle.



Measuring the neckline of the knit, cut a 1 inch strip of knit.

Then fold in half, lengthwise, give it a good stretch.


Then pin and sew around the knit part of the neckline, with the raw edges facing out.


To finish up, hem your sleeves and the back of your top.







No comments: