Tuesday, October 21, 2014

Frozen Halloween: DIY Anna and Elsa

When Frozen came out, last year, we went and saw it as a family. It was during Thanksgiving and we were visiting family in Utah. I already knew I was pregnant, but we hadn't told anyone yet, since I had recently suffered a miscarriage. I didn't really know what to expect from the movie, or that it would haunt me a year later. 

I'm gonna be honest. I hated it. I hated it because it made me cry throughout the whole movie. The entire movie is sad and depressing! But, as soon as they showed Anna and Elsa all grown up and going through coronation, my first thought was, "Oh crap, M.E. is going to want me to make that dress." By "that dress", I mean the Anna Coronation dress. And she did. She asked me right away. 

But what she said next really pulled at my heart strings. "And when I have a sister, you can make her an Elsa dress." We hadn't told M.E. that she was going to be a big sister. And we hadn't confirmed any gender either. But what M.E. had said confirmed to me that this pregnancy was going to last and it was a girl. So, in turn, I cried throughout the whole movie. 

After Maggie was born, M.E. told me she wanted to be Anna for Halloween and that she wants Maggie to be Elsa. I honestly wished she wanted to be Elsa instead, but alas, no. It can't be easy, ever. So, I worked on a few designs on how I was going to recreate that dreaded Anna dress and an Elsa dress for a 3 month old. 


I cut a princess cut bodice out of cotton velvet, adding gold ribbon around the top and bottom. I used green tulle for the caps, and I cut the bodice decor out of felt.



The skirt is an A-line, made from 2 layers of green tulle and 2 layers of apple green polyester lining, that I box pleated. I bought 3 styles of ribbon, a thicker light green, a floral embroidered design, and a thin darker green. On the outside pleats, I placed the floral ribbon over the light green, and on the inside pleats, i sewed in the dark green ribbon.


I used fabric glue to lay down the bodice felt decor.

She makes a pretty little Anna.

Baby Elsa was really easy.

I found the perfect onesie for a buck at the Goodwill. It's ivory with glittered silver polka dots.

For Elsa's dress, I was lucky enough to have a dress of mine that I had made and only wore for a photo shoot. I cut the length off of it, gathered it and sewed it around the bust of the onesie. 

For the cape, I bought a 1/4 yard of white tulle, that already had clear drops on it(glue gun), and added these sparkly snowflakes that I found at the Dollar Store. I tacked the cape around the back top where the turquoise meets the onesie.  

And there you have it! My beautiful Anna and adorable sweet Elsa. 
They are ready for Halloween!


1 comment:

Kimberly Bonham said...

So stinking cute!! Love it!