Friday, October 3, 2014

DIY Bic Marker Mug


Yay! It's Friday! I love Fridays. Today I offer you a tested DIY project, with my thoughts and opinions and a completed birthday present for my BFFFR(best friend forever for real).

I love making gifts. Buying gifts is such a hassle for me. I can never find what I really want to give. But, I am always happy when I make a gift. As a gift for my best friend, to me nothing is good enough for her. We have been friends for 31 years. We have a lot of history together. Our parents are friends. I lived with her family for a Summer. Her parents are like second parents to me. I could walk in their house and go straight to the kitchen, and rummage through the pantry and it's no big deal. Her family is my family. So, like I was saying, nothing in stores is good enough. I came across the sharpie mug trend on Pinterest, and decided to give it a try. She is a special needs teacher for deaf children, loves coffee, has a fantastic sense of humor and has an appreciation for art. A mug is needed. But not just any mug will do. A personalized mug that she can brag about is the answer. With Halloween approaching, I went with a sugar skull design. We both love sugar skull artwork, so I thought it only appropriate(since our inside jokes are totally inappropriate). 

I read, like, 3 different tutorials on the subject. Went to the dollar store, bought a plain white mug, got out my Bic Marker collection, pencils and some paper. 


I drew up a few rough drafts of my sugar skull, and then drew on the mug, lightly, with a pencil. 


I then went to town with my markers, and got creative. I first baked my mug for 40 min at 400 degrees. The color faded drastically! So I colored the whole thing again, baked at 350 degrees for 20 min. The color was even brighter. So, I recommend 20 min at 350. 



I love you, Melissa!!!! Happy Birthday!!!
31 years of friendship, and many more to come!









1 comment:

Miss Crayola Creepy said...

Such an awesome custom gift! She will totally brag that her BFF made that for her!