Monday, July 7, 2014

Ariel Inspired Tankini

Every year Lil' Miss wants a Little Mermaid swimsuit, and she has always had one. This year, she grew out of her latest one, and shopping for the "right" Ariel swimsuit just wasn't on the agenda with how slow I've been moving lately. I remembered I had a vintage tankini pattern in a size 3, and some fish scale Halloween fabric. All we needed was some purple swim fabric. Found that quickly at Joann's, in the 50% off remnants. They had just enough! But, was I getting in over my head, making a swimsuit? I've never made one before. But, I knew I needed to learn. Better to teach myself on something for Lil' Miss, rather than myself or a client. Kids don't care about the mess up's. I got off to a rough start, thinking I could sew these fabrics using a ball point needle. Nope. I was screwing up all over the place. It was a terrible mess.



I decided to go to a sewing group I am a part of, and asked their opinion. I was told to get a stretch needle or a microtex needle. I rushed to Joann's, they were completely out of stretch needles, but they did happen to have a microtex one. Which they should - considering some of the crazy Halloween fabrics they carry. 
What a difference that needle made. I could not believe how smooth the rest of the sewing went. 


The vintage pattern, dating 1976, was super easy to follow. But, the top happened to be too big and the bottoms too small. I altered the bottoms, and just tied the top around twice. Fits just fine now. Lil' Miss loves her new suit, and wants to wear it all the time. A direct quote: "I always wanted an Ariel swimsuit like this. It's my favorite! Thanks mom, for making it for me." Ahh, sweet and polite. 


Literally has been wearing it every time we go swimming. She doesn't want to model it for me, so this is the best picture I got. 

2 comments:

Miss Crayola Creepy said...

You are the coolest mom!!!!!! What a beautiful suit. I bet you totally made her day, no, her summer!

MaryAnn said...

Awesome!