Thursday, April 24, 2014

Vintage Maternity Inspired by Gunne Sax and Duro Olowu

Most of you would think I'm crazy that I would want a Gunne Sax dress or be inspired by one. But, you see, I have this new found love for bohemian/hippie looks as my baby bump grows. 
25 off sale!  1970s gunne sax dress . 70s pink and white floral full length gunne . by coralvintage www.coralvintage.etsy.com

I also have been inspired by last years Duro Olowu mixed print dresses. I just love them, and I have such a difficult time mixing prints and feeling comfortable in chaos. 

Duro Olowu Short Sleeve Print Dress - Lyst
Duro Olowu

Lucky for me, Sabra from Sew A Straight Line, sent me this super cute vintage maternity pattern, dating back to the 1970's. What a sweet sewing friend! Check out her blog, she is so talented. I met her last May during Fabric Weekend 2013. She is super awesome and super sweet! She forewarned me that the pattern was missing instructions, but that didn't bother me. I've sewn my fair share of vintage patterns without instructions. But, this pattern also happened to be missing the front bodice piece.  
No biggie! I got it under control. I used the back bodice piece, placed it on the fold, and used the front neck facing as a guide for the neckline of the front bodice. Turned out perfectly, in my opinion.
Anything is do-able!

I just love view A, but wanted to add my own flair.
I chose two different vintage fabrics, that I though paired beautifully together.

Using the sheer yellow lightweight cotton fabric for the main body of the dress, and a lightweight cotton folk art print for the sleeves, tie, and ruffle. 

The pattern didn't call for a ruffle, but I really wanted one. Gunne Sax dresses always had ruffles at the hem. I needed one too. 

I also had this crocheted trim piece that I thought would adorn the neckline beautifully. I just love how this dress turned out. It's so light and breathable, which is what I need lately. 

27 weeks!

5 comments:

Heather Lou said...

This is a GREAT maternity look. You look beautiful! I adore Gunne Sax dresses. I hope you're listening to a lot of Joanna Newsom - she was practically the Gunne Sax ambassador a few years ago!

The F Girl said...

What an amazing dress. You look absolutely stunning. I love the colours and fabrics you picked. Beautiful!

Lee said...

I love it! Great fabrics and color palette. Looks like it's not strictly maternity either.

Nicole said...

Woah, this is GORGEOUS! So gorgeous! I love it.

christina said...

wowzers, what a beautiful dress! you look just adorable!