Monday, August 5, 2013

Geometric Fade: A Gown

I've made a gown before, but not for myself. This particular gown came to me in one of my insomnia moments. I've had this fabric for a year now, I bought it at the Loft in the fabric district of downtown Los Angeles. I did not want to waste any of it. I had to use it all. For a year now, I have been trying to figure out what to do with it, without having to cut it. Just recently my insomnia has been coming back to me - and all that flows through my head is images of fabric, sketches, designs, babies, food, especially food I can't eat, and my daughter. I don't ever know what to make of these images, but sometimes they are quite helpful. Despite losing sleep and keeping my husband up. Anyways, the image came to me of what to do with this gorgeous piece of fabric without losing any of it. A wrap skirt. But I decided to attach it to my self drafted crop top that I never wear, and made both pieces useful. with an elastic band in the middle, makes for comfortable cinching. 




 Underneath is a black jersey skirt I made, to go under all my chiffon skirts that don't have linings.

I love the way this gown flows.

And I love the geometric print of the fading triangles. This is a gown I love, and want to wear again. I need an excuse, besides church. I'd rather wear to something a little upscale. The great thing about this design, is that I can make it into a more structured gown with a zip. I see it so many ways with different types of fabrics. By far one of my best self made designs. I am so pleased.

2 comments:

Heather Lou said...

This is over the top gorgeous! That chiffon makes my knees buckle. I have a few things like this in my stash as well- waiting for the perfect moment of inspirations sometimes takes a while. And your photo shoot is lovely! Great lighting.

Justine of SewCountryChick said...

So amazingly chic Bethany! Great design!