Monday, June 17, 2013

Sewing the Trends Series Summer 2013: Tropical

I am pretty excited that Justine, from Sew Country Chick, asked me to join her sewing series. But, I gotta tell you, I thought I knew what I wanted to do, but I got a severe case of designer's block for like a whole week! If you follow me on Instagram, you may have noticed....But then one night, my daughter woke up at 2 and stayed awake until 5! You think I would be brain dead from that, but instead I couldn't stop thinking about the Series challenge and what I was going to do. It then came to me - a matching set! 

My original idea kept steering me down the path of Magnum P.I. Now, I love Magnum P.I. just as much as anyone else, (I really do have a crush on Magnum/Selleck) but I knew early 1980's Hawaiian was not very on trend for 2013.

I know "tropical" was a trend last year, but it's still around and looking better! Plus, I had a vintage cotton Hawaiian print fabric I really wanted to use. I know I needed to force myself out of my comfort zone and steer away from my usual vintage style dresses and casual maxi skirt designs (by the way, I had a chiffon maxi skirt as back up just in case!) I also knew I needed more tops and shorts. I don't make those very often. But my creativity pulled through for me, and I was able to complete the outfit in two days with a sick toddler.

I used vintage patterns for both pieces, which maybe defeats the purpose of Summer Trend 2013, but hey, it still works for the now.
 

 


For the blouse, I used a vintage pattern that belonged to my Mother, as a teen. I am so glad my Grandma kept some of her patterns. I actually love it, funny enough. I usually don't like to make my self tops, especially working with buttons, but I did it, and am pretty proud of myself. By the way, this is the first peplum I have made and now own. I like that it's boxy. Strange, because I usually like things tight and fitted. i also really like the bateau neckline. It's flattering, no?
 

 


For the shorts I used the same pattern that I also used to make these polka dot shorts, but a shorter version and I added my own side tab. I had very little of this fabric left and did some serious improvising to make these work, hence why they are short short! But I am super happy with them, and proud of myself for putting in the effort. I probably wont wear them as often as the top, I am very self conscience of my legs. But they sure do look cute together! I'm hoping one day, I will finally be able to take that tropical vacation, and this outfit will get worn, and my legs will look better.
 

 
Here are some runway photos for my inspiration

isabelmarant
Don't forget to check out the rest of the bloggers
June 17th - Bethany of Lil' Bit and Nan
June 21st - Marissa of Rae Gun Ramblings
June 24th - Abby of Sew Much Ado
June 28th - Alida of Alida Makes





11 comments:

Justine/ Sew Country Chick said...

Bethany, this is so cute! I have the same vintage shorts pattern as you

Mie Brindle said...

Love it, love it, looove it! You look amazing in that outfit!!

Merche Martinez said...

So cute! I love how the peplum looks paired with shorts...never thought about it! The print is so much fun and the patterns are spot on! And you look so pretty in it!

Olga (Kid Approved) said...

Looks great! Love the fabric!

Sew Much Ado said...

Bethany you are so cute and I love your outfit, it's so fun!!! And let me just say that you have absolutely NO reason to be self conscious of your legs :).

Alida Makes said...

Love love love! I'm going to stalk your blog now, hope you don't mind :-)

Marie said...

Oh Bethany, I love your tropical outfit...it's so adorable and a perfect representation of the trend you chose ;o)

Jenya Thompson said...

Gorgeous outfit :)

johanna@projects by me said...

There's NOTHING wrong with your legs, they looks fantastic in those shorts! The whole ensemble is great!

Jessica at Me Sew Crazy said...

Absolutely adored this outfit the moment I saw it Bethany! So well done! Love it!

An apprentice housewife said...

Hop over from sew country chick blog. Your work is perfect. Really love it and need one for myself! Great job!