Thursday, September 13, 2012

The Gatsby Challenge

Usually I have something to say before I present my Sew Weekly Challenge, but today I have a sick toddler. So I am gonna keep it to a minimum today. Here is my Gatsby dress. I was going for a 20's flapper/party goer dress, one that might be a prohibition rebel....


The “Ooooh, Pretty Momma” Gatsby Dress

The Facts:
Fabric: Satin gifted from a friend
Pattern: Self drafted
Year: 2012/1926
Notions: Beads $3.00
Time to Complete: Not finished
First Worn: September 8,  2012
Wear Again: Once finished, I have an even to wear it to.
Total Price: $3.00
Well, friends, let me tell you a story. I knew I had to do this challenge. I mean The Great Gatsby is my favorite book. Pretty much the only book I enjoy reading more than once (I’m not much of a reader, I’m a go, go, go kind of person). 3 weeks ago I started on my Gatsby dress. Not this one. A different vision. I spent $20 bucks on all the notions! Ridiculous right? Then I got to a point where I wasn’t inspired by it anymore. I then started doing some sketching and came up with this design. I love it so much more, even though I am not finished with the bead work.
I literally started on this dress last week, so no wonder I am not done. Hand beading takes so long, and I had a whole intricate diamond designed out on my sketch. Once done, I promise I will post pics.
The post will be short today, as I had an overwhelming week, but I see a light ahead of this darkness. Thank you to everyone’s positive words and kindness last week. I really do enjoy sewing and doing the Sew Weekly. I’m sad when I have to take breaks, but it’s important that I do.
Obviously the title of this post is words straight out of my daughters mouth. Gosh, I love her so much. Her sweet little voice telling me how pretty I am makes my heart melt. I hope she will still think I am pretty when I am older and gray, and the wrinkles have become more noticeable. I am looking so forward to everyone else’s Gatsby fashions! See you all next week!

No comments: