Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Pinteresting 18: Remaking Fashion Inspiration & Sew Weekly

Hi friends! All Spring and Summer long, I have been in search of the perfect Summer dress. No luck! Everything seemed too short, or too revealing. I'm a mom. I don't want to be revealing. I want to be comfortable and fashionable. It wasn't until last month I saw a dress on Ruche that I loved and had pinned it to my Design Inspiration board, but once again, it was too short. I looked closely at it and realized I can make this, and I think I have some patterns I can Frankenstein together. I also had some great polka dot fabric that I wanted to use on it - especially since I had a Sew Weekly Polka Dot challenge coming up.
Pinterest Challenge 16: Paula Deen Salad on Gluten Free Delicious Dish
Pinterest Challenge 17: Hot Cross Bun Braid on I Wouldn't Trade Anything


The “Day Off” Dress

The Facts:
Fabric: Polka Dot Rayon – Stash
Pattern:  Frankenstein-ed from McCall 6533 (top) and New Look 6872 (bottom)
Year: Now
Notions: Elastic from stash
Time to Complete: 4 hours
First Worn: September 15, 2012
Wear Again: For sure!
Total Price: $0.00!
First things, first. I want to apologize for all our awful pictures lately. It’s soooo obvious I have not been happy in the past months photos. I can see it when I look at them. And the pictures have not turned out well. My husband and I are both overwhelmed. It shows all to well. Sewing has been the easy part, posing for pictures and the hubs taking them have felt more like a chore lately. We need to get back on track with out bending over backwards.
Now on with the dress. I wanted the perfect Summer dress, and have been in search for the right style and comfort. I did find a dress online that I really liked, but it was too short. Luckily for me, I could make it. And I had the perfect polka dotted fabric that I was waiting to use on the perfect Summer dress. I took the top of my favorite jumpsuit pattern and the skirt of my favorite skirt pattern, combined them together with an elastic waist (super easy to make) making it comfortable yet still fashionable. The top piece reminds me of the 40′s and the 80′s combined. I love it! My two favorite fashion decades mixed together minus shoulder pads, equals my perfect Summer dress And in my opinion, Summer doesn’t officially end until September 21st, according to our calendar.
Thankfully I had the 15th off this week. It’s rare I get a Saturday off. On one hand I need to work to bring in $, on the other hand I really needed a day to just be a family with my daughter and husband. I’m telling you, it hardly happens. Husband works full time and goes to school full time, I work part time and am mom/wife full time. Saturdays are a rare gem when all 3 of us get to be together for an entire day. We took full advantage of our day.
It was so hot inland near L.A. 100 degrees that day! So we headed up to Ventura (coastal city 1/2 hour North of Simi Valley) to have a less hot day. 80 degrees in Ventura! I swear that is the hottest temp I have ever experienced on the coast. We ate at a delicious hole in the wall Mexican joint. Family owned, and real Mexican (my favorite) The tacos are the best tacos you will ever eat. The Horchata is the best Horchata you will ever drink. The fruit plate, yes, the fruit plate is the most delicious fruit plate you will have savor. Yet, we never remember the name of this place. Why? Unfortunately, I probably cannot pronounce it and that is why I forget.After lunch we just enjoyed walking up and down Main St.. Didn’t bother going into stores, didn’t need to, or wanted to with a 2 year old. Antique stores and 2 year old’s are not friends. Main St is full of Antique stores. I suppose our main purpose for going was to bear the temps. We also strolled to the pier and watched the Long Board Surf Competition, and played in the water. All in all it was a great day and much needed. One day I hope to have all my Saturdays with my family.

1 comment:

Madalynne said...

I was thinking about you and the horrendous weather last weekend. It's just starting to cool down here in Philly and I couldn't believe that it was 100 plus degrees where you were! Crazy.

This is the perfect dress. I didn't notice it until you mention it but the dress is a mix between the 40s and the 80s.