Monday, August 6, 2012

Olympic Fever

Last week on the Sew Weekly, our challenge was an outfit inspired by the Olympics. I chose to do a tennis dress recycled from a house dress I made last May, but hated the way it turned out. I love the tennis style much better. Here is the journey.


“If at First You Don’t Succeed” Tennis Dress

The Facts:
Fabric: Inherited Lightweight Cotton
Pattern: Vintage McCall 6009 – Inherited
Year: 1945
Notions: Button’s .99 cents
Time to complete: First time about 10 hours, second time 2 hours
First worn: July 21
Wear again? Already have, many times, I love it!
Total price: .99 Cents

This dress was originally for the 1940′s challenge, but I hated the end result so much I couldn’t bring myself to wear it. The bust was too baggy, the waist to low, and the skirt was just at an awkward length for my petite stature. I tossed is aside to eventually re-work. When I saw the Olympics challenge on the dashboard, I really didn’t know what to do. I only follow the Summer Olympics, and I only pay attention to certain sports such as running, swimming, diving, and gymnastics, both men and women. I wasn’t going to make myself running clothes – I have plenty, the same with swimwear, I have so many that I don’t have a drawer for them. And what am I supposed to do with a leotard? So those Olympic categories were out of the question. Then I looked at my 1940′s house dress again. I thought, this could make a good tennis dress if I shorten it for sport and take up the waist. Is tennis even in the Olympics? No matter, it’s a sport and I have to do something wearable.
So that’s what I did. I cinched the bust a bit more, raised the waist, and shortened the skirt. And I ironed the front placket down to make it look like a collar. When I originally started this dress, the instructions were crumbling in my hands. I pretty much had to make it up as I went along. The pattern asked for shoulder pads, but of course I opted out. I had to re-size this thing so many times, and figure out the shoulder piece with out it being awkward. The buttons on the shoulder don’t work, just decoration.
Now I played tennis back in 6th grade. I was an amazing server, a lot of power came out of my skinny little limbs, but that’s about it. I had no other coordination. But, whatever. I borrowed the vintage racquet from my dad. My main inspiration for this dress was to re-create a dress I used to own when my husband and I were first dating. He bought it for me when we went on a road trip. The fabric and silhouette is similar to the dress I once had. Even down to the tie waist in the front. But once we got married we got a dog together, and that dog found this dress in the laundry and decided to eat it. True story.
We found this awesome wall in a neighborhood as we were driving one morning. I knew i wanted to use it for the Olympic challenge rather than the local tennis courts. So not only is this dress wearable for tennis, but I can wear it anytime. And we don’t have that dog anymore that ate my last one, Rest is soul that crazy Bulldog, Oscar.

2 comments:

Ashley said...

Picture perfect! This looks smashing on you!


-Ash P
http://distractedashley.blogspot.com

M. Prasad said...

I keep coming back to this post because it's awesome! I am a sucker for 1940s dresses and have made a few of my own. I think this might be in my to-do list.