Friday, July 6, 2012

What's On Trend?

Last weeks Sew Weekly challenge was certainly a challenge. The subject was Summer 2012 fashions. I didn't struggle too much with what I wanted to make. I struggled more with how I made it. I went bright, as usual. Matches my personality. And I chose modern retro as my inspiration. It was also my birthday the day I wore it, and what a low key day it was. Look to see how it turned out.

The “Bright Birthday” Ensemble

The Facts:
Fabric: Hot pink polka dot chiffon $2, Turquoise cotton blend $3
Pattern: Simplicity 2215 for blouse, and Simplicity 3435 for Pants
Year: Modern for blouse, and late 1950′s for Pants
Notions: Zipper, $1.39, Buttons .99
Time to complete: 7 Hours
First Worn: June 21, For my birthday
Wear again? Questionable on the pants, already have with the blouse
Total Price: Around $8
I love setting a trend, or taking a trend further and better, rather than looking like I just walked out of Anthropologie or Forever 21. For my inspiration I took a look at the high end runways, the teen shop websites, and my WWD articles and site. Which was hard to concentrate on because this gorgeous ad of Chris Evans for Gucci kept popping up and distracting me. I wanted to take a little bit from each trend, and make my outfit wearable with other separates. I chose the sheer chiffon to be a blouse, which I am seeing a lot of right now, but I wanted mine to be BRIGHT! I wanted my whole outfit bright. That’s who I am. I love color. It’s happy. For the pants I chose a vintage pattern so I could make them high in the waist, seeing a lot of that right now too. Which I love the high waist trend. What better than to show a women’s natural waist and curve to give that femininity? So I guess you could say I went modern retro?
Now let’s talk about where I went wrong…the blouse I don’t mind wearing again. I do need to fix the button placement. But I could wear it with a lot of what’s already in my closet. I made the shoulders wider and can wear a cute solid top under. The pants are another story. I really should have listened to my gut about shortening them in the hip area. It just looks really bad. The material folds over and gets all bunchy. Not flattering at all. I also had some issues in the calf area. It’s really wide then really tight. Oh, and let’s not forget about the zipper. I despise putting in zippers, especially on vintage patterns. It’s something I am still learning. In general the pants are just unflattering everywhere but the waist. I’ve learned my lesson when I use the pants pattern again. I do want some flattering high waist pants, so this pattern will be attempted again.
I wanted some Peach Nesbitts soda as a birthday treat instead of cake. We went to Rocket Fizz to do our photos. Pretty awesome place. M.E. fell asleep on the way there, and we couldn’t very well leave her in the car and we couldn’t wake her up. She was out! Robert had to hold our precious 2 year old the whole time while taking photos. A very interesting experience for the both of us. However I do recommend Nesbitts Peach soda.

4 comments:

Megan said...

Happy Late Birthday :)We share the same birthday! And I think your outfit came out very cute, by the way.

Madalynne said...

Happy belated birthday lovely lady! You rock in this outfit. The high waisted pants are just to die for!

Meg the Grand said...

Happy belated birthday! I love the color combo you are rocking in this outfit. And that blouse? Be still my heart! That color combined with polka dots is a dream come true.

Sassy T said...

Fabulous.