Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Making Waves

Hello friends! Last week I was featured again on the Sew Weekly. Such an awesome compliment to my sewing/posing skills and to my hubby's photography talent. I am so proud of the both of us. This has really boosted his self esteem and has just made me realize I can conquer anything I set my mind to. This latest creation is dedicated to making life happen no matter the waves we have to face.


The “Under the Sea” Dress

The Facts:
Fabric: Aqua China Silk Lining and Aqua Chiffon from Fabric.com
Pattern: Simplicity 2692
Year: Modern
Notions: Zipper
Time to complete: 4 hours so far, but not completely finished
First worn: July 15
Wear again? Maybe as a costume
Total price: Around $16
So in case you didn’t know, my 2 year old is completely obsessed with The Little Mermaid. Since we watch the movie everyday, and listen to the soundtrack every little car ride, it’s no wonder I became inspired by the love my daughter has for the rebellious red head. I obviously chose the ocean as my subject for our outdoors challenge. I love the Pacific Ocean. I love everything about it. We have come to the beach often this Summer, so coming back to do a shoot wasn’t gonna be a problem for us.
Sadly the dress did not turn out how I expected and had a rough time with this particular pattern. Not only was I not ecstatic about finishing this dress, but I literally started it Sunday morning, ran out of thread, and had to use a light gray zipper due to poor judgement on my part. My husband almost talked me out of doing this weeks challenge because of how frustrated I was getting. But, I had a vision of what I wanted, and I was determined to finish and get somewhat close to what I wanted. As I was messing up through the sewing process, I tossed the pattern instructions aside and did it how I thought it should be done. Though I am not sure if I really like the dress, I know I could use it again for a costume or whatever. Maybe I’ll end up fixing what I dislike.
But, it’s kind of a good thing I didn’t entirely like my dress, because I didn’t feel bad about walking into the ocean with it. Especially since the hem isn’t done at all. The water wasn’t too cold. Some of the waves were strong and could have knocked me over if I had not braced myself for their arrival. The husband and I had a lot of fun doing this shoot together. It was a new experience for the both of us.
I loved giving a couture look this dress though. I put a ton of gold and blue eye make up all over my eyes, and stuck on pearl stickers above my eyebrows, and heavy on the gold sparkles!
And the Year of No Fear continues. I got right in the water and let it wash up on me, in a dress for that matter. I normally wouldn’t even do this in a swim suit. I’m so chicken when it comes to cold water. But a challenge is a challenge. And this challenge is completed.

1 comment:

Meg the Grand said...

Your photos turned out beautifully! Well done to you and hubby for venturing out into the ocean as it makes the dress really shine :) I love all the accessories you've paired with it, and I think my favorite picture is you holding the shell to your ear. This is really a fantastic color on you, so I hope you make changes to the dress so you love it as much as I do :)

Congrats on being featured! You are a total Sew Weekly rock star!