Sunday, July 29, 2012

Chevron

Last weeks Sew Weekly challenge was to make something that is missing from your wardrobe. I chose a jersey maxi skirt, cause I don't have one, and lately I have felt like I need one. This challenge was also a "reality check" for me. I haven't sewn much for my daughter lately, and she has been wanting a dress to twirl in. I decided with my leftover fabric, to make her a pillowcase style dress to match my skirt. We had a great time taking pictures together. I love my little one so much!


The “Twinners are Winners” Chevron Maxi Skirt



The Facts:
Fabric: Striped Jersey from Michael Levine
Pattern: A basic skirt pattern I revised for my skirt and basic pillowcase dress pattern for toddler dress, Tutorial coming soon
Year: Modern
Notions: none
Time to complete: 3 hours
First worn: July 18
Wear again? Of course, it’s my “go to” staple
Total price: $20

When it came to the reality check challenge, I was a little stumped. What don’t I have that I need in my closet? My closet is FULL of clothes. I remembered I picked up this beautiful gray and pink striped jersey in the fabric district last month, with intentions to make a maxi dress, but decided later on I didn’t want a maxi dress anymore. But I still needed to use this gorgeous fabric that I fell in love with at $5 a yard. I literally sat and thought about how I could incorporate this fabric into the next challenge as something I wanted/needed/would wear. I flipped through some magazines and saw a chevron maxi skirt I adored. I must have that! Or, I must make that! When it came to figuring how to do the chevron part i skipped over to my friends, sister’s blog, Miranda, of One Little Minute, for her chevron dress tutorial. I just found a basic A-line skirt pattern in my stash (no brand) I applied her directions to my skirt, and did the same for M.E.’s pillowcase dress. Since I had some of the fabric left over, i thought a Mommy & Me matching set would be cute.
This tutorial was very simple to follow, you just have to make sure your stripes match up properly when cutting and sewing. When is came to the waist band, I only made one seam, but French seamed it so I could fold the band over. I put the seam in the back to match up with the skirt seam down the center back. For M.E.’s pillowcase dress, I braided some leftover strips and used them as the tie through/straps.
Not only was the maxi skirt part of a nice reality check of something I wanted, but I really need to start sewing for my daughter again. She has been putting in requests lately of pretty dresses and tutu’s. So this challenge was to also incorporate something for the little love of my life. She loves her new dress and especially loves to twirl in it.
I apologize that these photos aren’t as awesome as last weeks. We had plenty of time to do them, but could not find a very awesome place to take our pictures that were a safe environment for the little one. So we went to the outdoor mall again…..But seriously, thank you to everyone who gave such kind comments. Your compliments made my husband head soar through the roof, he is very appreciative of all the positive feedback. It pushes him to strive to be better, and it certainly pushes me to look better in the photos.
 I'll have a tutorial posted for the skirt and dress later this week!

1 comment:

Madalynne said...

Seriously, you two are absolutely and utterly adorable! I just can't get over it! I know this was a simple project but it's my favorite out of all of your creations!