Friday, July 13, 2012

Bravely Baring for The US of A

Last weeks Sew Weekly challenge was challenging. I debated on submitting it or not. I am showing more skin that usual. Mostly by accident. But then I remembered, what's the point of learning a lesson without accepting the challenge? I do love a challenge. And these challenges we accept each week on the Sew Weekly are to better our skills, learn form our mistakes, teach others, be taught by others, and share our experience with that particular challenge.
If you find yourself offended by my creations, you don't have to continue reading, you also don't have to judge me. If you find yourself offended or judging, then you may not understand the purpose of partaking in the Sew Weekly Challenges, and you may not have read my complete post and only stared at the photos in disgust. Either way, I never explain myself to anyone (thank you Mary Poppins). Now on with the show!


The “Braving It” Two Piece & Skirt

The Facts
Fabric: Cherry Print Cotton – gifted, Red broadcloth – remnant pile, Faux Chambray – $10.00
Pattern: Skirt: New Look 6872(made longer), Top: Butterick 2577 ( accidentally made shorter than intended), Bottoms: Simplicity 6507
Year: Skirt: Modern, Top: 1960′s, Bottoms: 1960′s
Notions: 2 zipper’s, bias tape, and 6 buttons = $7.40
Time to complete: 12 hours
First worn: June 29, 2012
Wear again? When appropriate for the occasion…
Total price: $18
This is my most embarassing posts yet. I almost didn’t go through with it, but I thought, ‘Why not?’ ‘I put all these hours and money into it’. I will brave it out for the sake of the Sew Weekly. So here I am. Showing you a different side of me I didn’t know I had. This outfit is kind of liberating. Like, I didn’t know it was possible to pull something like this off in this generation, like it had been done back in the 1940′s to 1960′s. As you can see, my inspiration came from many different eras, but mostly seen in beach movies likeGidget. I was trying to go for a BBQ/Pool Party casual look. Looking back at old Summer wear fashions, I came across crop tops, bathing suit bottoms, and cove skirts. I LOVED this idea! Unfortunately my cherry print top is way shorter than I wanted and am baring more tummy than I had planned. Oh well, you live and you learn.
The skirt was easy to do. I could do it with my eyes closed, I have used this pattern so much. The top is the pattern I used form the Diamond Jubilee challenge, with the button closure down the back. The swim bottoms came from an actual bathing pattern. I thought about attempting the top part, but I know I would have difficulties re-sizing it to fit my 28 inch bust and fake filling it out with stuffing or whatever. The bottoms were really easy. I learned my lesson from the last challenge, and shortened the body of the pattern. Fits just right.

















My idea however came across quite well. I wanted to use all the colors of the challenge. I couldn’t just pick one. And I know I don’t have the looks or figure for pin up, but I sure do love the style. I learned how to do my hair using a Youtube tutorial. I thought holding a Coke was appropriately American. I also made a matching dress for the little one. She was very excited to put it on because it has star buttons.

We are celebrating our Independence day at Disneyland as usual. What’s more American than Disneyland? And Coke? And bravery? Well, Happy Independence Day America! I am bravely baring myself to viewers around the world. Gasp!!!

1 comment:

Tereza {Drastic Plastic} said...

Gorgeous look, I love the whole combination.

You have a really cool blog here. Do you want to follow each other, I would love that.
Tereza
http://drastic-plastic-fantastic-plastic.blogspot.com/