Sunday, June 24, 2012

Los Angeles Fashion District

On Friday, my mom wanted to take me to the fashion district in downtown L.A. to get fabric. I was all for this as I just got birthday money and was ready to spend it all on my natural fabric obsession.

Vintage Sea Horse scarf used as a turban style headband.

Enjoyed a trip to the FIDM Scholarship Shop where you can buy donated designer clothing and fabric. That's my mum in the bottom corner looking at fabric, and I bought that Esther Williams swim suit for $8! The fabric is seriously a $1 a yard. I bought 6 yards each of two fabrics. 

Then we went further into the heart of the fabric district and found $4 flat rate parking on a roof of some building, ate bacon wrapped hot dogs with pico de gallo, and found .50 to $1 zippers! I needed zippers so badly, and I still need more because thy were out of black....


 And we spent most of our day at Michael Levine Fabrics. I have one word: HEAVEN! This place is seriously Heaven for fabric lovers. So much beautiful fabrics at such great prices. The left hand photo is of the fabrics I bought. They seriously cost $1.50 to $5 a yard. I spent a total of $70 there. I could have spent more, but I had to restrain myself. 


If you are ever in the Los Angeles area, hit me up or tackle Downtown L.A. by yourself. I do recommend taking the underground Metro and walking, rather than spending the gas and parking money. 

2 comments:

Madalynne said...

Oh I'm jealous of all of your finds! And the experience must have been so much better with your mom there (and eating hot dogs!). Do any of those fabric shops you visited have online shops?

Miss Crayola Creepy said...

I'm going downtown in a few weeks! Can you recommend any other "must go" places for me? :)