Wednesday, June 27, 2012

The Cover-up Romper


Last weeks challenge at the Sew Weekly, was vacation wear. I thought a nice beach cover-up would suffice. Well, it did. I made it on the Wednesday Headliner for Sew Weekly. I get so giddy when I see my creations front and center. It makes me feel like I am getting better at what I love to do. It's such a compliment and I continue to compete against myself to do better and better each week. This cover-up I called The "Cover Girl" Romper.
The Facts:
Fabric: White pin tucked cotton – gifted
Pattern: McCalls 6533
Year: Modern
Notions: Elastic
Time to complete: 5 hours
First Worn: June 17, while on Holiday
Wear again? Heck YES!
Total Price: $1.99 for the pattern.
Trying to decide what to make for this challenge, was a challenge in itself. I don’t know what people wear on holiday/vacation. I don’t remember the last time I was on vacation that wasn’t family related ie: wedding, funeral, family reunion. If we put the money out to go anywhere, it always involves a family event. Which is all fine and dandy for some people. I’m not some people though. I love to just go off and explore on my own, by myself (or with hubby and baby) See things I haven’t seen or appreciated before, instead of devoting all my attention to family members. Call it selfish, or call it getting older and wanting to branch out. I’m not offended either way. Well, this week we are on vacation, more like a stay-cation due to having to purchase a new car (stupid transmission). Since June 17th happens to be Hubby’s B-day and Father’s day, we did what he wanted. And what he wanted was to go 1/2 hour North to Ventura and walk along Main Street. We found a lot of fun treasures. M.E., had a good time seeing all the dogs and getting ice cream. We just enjoyed ourselves.

The reason I decided to go with this mini jumpsuit AKA: romper or playsuit, is because a dear friend of mine has asked me to make her a modest jumpsuit that she can wear out and about and be her usual fashionable self without showing too much skin. I obviously had to test the pattern first, make my notes of what to do and what not to do. Obviously the legs come longer and I rolled them up for the look I was going for, and since I practiced on white sheer cotton, I decided this would make for a good cover-up when I go to the pool or beach. And my holiday attire challenge was born!
I’m very happy with this piece. I feel high fashion in it, and not frumpy like I do in my usual clothes I put on over my swimwear. We would have gone down to the water, but we needed to stay very close to the car, since M.E. was hanging out in it. I kept my on our car and we did the photo shoot quickly. This huge Great Dane, Lucas, wanted to be in the shots as well. Isn’t he handsome! Thank you to his owners! He was a great model. *Disclaimer: as a certified Animal Behaviorist, I do not condone prong collars on dogs not being used for K9 Police Training.

2 comments:

Elisha(: said...

So cute!!!

x.

Madalynne said...

omg! that dog is huge! Such a great model.

The jumpsuit is a perfect get-away outfit. It's different than an ordinary beach dress so you'll surely stand out wearing it. I can't believe you finished it in 5 hours. That's impressive!