Wednesday, May 23, 2012

The Vintage Inspired Playsuit




This past week on the Sew Weekly, our challenge was to mix prints. I chose a peach floral cotton and a sky blue and white herringbone and McCalls 6311 pattern. I loved mixing these prints together, I loved stepping out of my comfort zone.  I have to say, I am pretty proud of this latest creation, especially because I have been working out hard core - I am almost at my pre-baby muscle percentage. Anyways, back to the playsuit. I added cups to the bust  to give it that vintage look that my body is unable to give. Okay, now I spilled the secret... Time to get back on track.


I really wanted to use these two fabrics together for this challenge. I love the pattern contrast, but I also love how the blue hue compliments the peach hue. In fact I love complimentary colors all together. But I didn’t have enough of the herringbone to do anything big with the 2 yards of floral cotton. Then I remembered Mena’s playsuit from the pin-up challenge. Why yes, a playsuit! What a grand idea! McCall’s patterns were going on sale, and I had more than enough fabric to do this. It also doesn’t hurt to have a playsuit to garden, tan, walk the beach, or go on that long awaited cruise I have been dreaming about in.
This pattern was the simplest by far to use. And very easy to fit to my measurements. Of course I always have trouble up in the bust and back area. What else is new? So I added padded cups to make up the difference. Maybe one day I will hit puberty. I wont count on it though. I know, I’m hard on myself.... The best part is the contrasting fold over at the top. I did have to take the straps down a few times trying to get the most comfortable and logical length.
I really love this playsuit. It’s hard enough to find swimsuits that make me feel womanly without compromising my modesty standards. A playsuit, I may not be able to swim in, but I could wear it to the beach or whatnot where I don’t plan on swimming but do plan on enjoying the sun with everyone else. I feel like this playsuit gives me shape. I like having shape. I never knew what it felt like before.
I wanted to take these photos at the beach, but there was no time with our busy schedules, so we headed to Dad’s pool again (which I am so embarrassed because it is so dirty)and borrowed my brother’s surfboard to give it a Gidget like feel. Thanks Mena for the fabulous idea!

5 comments:

Jill said...

LOVE it!

Madalynne said...

I loved this the first time I saw it on Sew Weekly! Bravo lady.... BBBRAAVOO!

Sue said...

This looks great! I own this pattern but haven't tried it yet. Thanks for the inspiration!

Meg the Grand said...

You look smashing!! Love the peach and blue together, and the bits of contrast around the neckline :) Your hair also looks fantastic!

House of Pinheiro said...

Stunning jumpsuit x