Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Circle Skirt Challenge

This last week with Sew Weekly, we had a circle skirt challenge. I was pretty pumped for this challenge, because it would be the first time I had ever made a circle skirt. I thought it would be easy to do, but apparently it's only easy for those who read the directions. Not my best quality. Her is my circle skirt journey, titled "I Heart Dancing".

I was really excited to make my very first circle skirt, and I wanted to use a flowy fabric. I had this heart printed chiffon I had been saving for a particular dress I wanted to draft, but decided against it. I think it makes a better skirt anyways. i found a tutorial to help me make a modern circle skirt that I could dance in. I found it here. I think next to sewing, I love dancing. I grew up dancing. I certainly don’t have the arches or height to be a pro dancer, but I can still enjoy the activity. I am obsessed with So You Think You Can Dance, and I have a secret crush on season 2′s winner, Benji Schwimmer. Swing dancing is my favorite style, though I was trained in ballet, jazz, and hip-hop. Swing is just more fun, especially with a partner. After 6 years of marriage I have my husband more willing to take swing lessons with me – my only partner has been my dad and he is way too busy being 70.
I had a really hard time making this skirt, surprising to others but not surprising to me. I found that tutorial and thought – this is going to be so easy! Umm…next time I should really read the directions and not just rely on the pictures. My bad. Every time I sewed the elastic to my fabric, I wasn’t pulling on the elastic to give the fabric room for my child bearing hips to fit into.So I ended up seam ripping and re-sewing 3 times! I could saved time reading directions like the smart person I know I could be.
When it came to taking pictures, we had no time once I finally finished the skirt. We were in crunch mode. These photos were taken at 6AM PST right after it rained at 53 degrees F right behind our condo (ugly background and I was freezing) I won’t be surprised if this post isn’t a week day headliner. I also asked my husband not to get face shots – since I just woke up, brushed my hair and put on my outfit. It wasn’t a “pretty” morning after being at Disneyland the day before. I would have worn it to Disneyland and done pictures there, but it was so cold that day.

I hope you enjoyed! Now go challenge yourself to a circle skirt if you already haven't done so.



1 comment:

Yvette Friendship said...

Looks great, I might have to have a go :)