Tuesday, December 20, 2011

The Getty Date Dress


Today the Hubs and I went to the Getty Museum to see the photography exhibit. It was very inspiring not to mention fun to finally have a date with my husband. I sew (pun totally intended) badly wanted to wear a new dress on our date, and stand out amongst the drab and darkly dresses art appreciators. And boy did I! 


I honestly made this dress in one night and out of the rest of the scraps of my failed tree skirt project. I mixed two patterns together. The top from New Look 6002 with the scalloped neckline, and the skirt from Simplicity 4236. The fabric is a red and white stripped cotton, the bow on my midriff is a vintage upholstery fabric scrap from a chair cushion that belonged to my late Grandma. I felt very Betty Draper in this dress paired with my mint knitted cardi. This was a fun and easy dress to make and I can't wait to wear it again.



Lucky for me it was also a very sunny and somewhat warm day. Then again, I do live in Southern California so it shouldn't have surprised me that much.


Photobucket


7 comments:

Matt said...

Bethany you harlot! That was supposed to be MY date with your husband!

Matt said...

Also, I want to make sure you know I'm kidding! And you look beautiful too!

Tara said...

This is such a cute dress! I love the color combination with the cardi!

Foster said...

I love the colors and I think the dress is darling on you!

jessica said...

Wow I can't believe you made that in one night and with leftover pieces from another project! You are super creative, girl!

Pam said...

You sew quickly to make that in one night. The skirt falls beautifully and is very flattering. A great outfit teamed with the mint cardigan. I would love for you to share this dress (and any others you've made) at my ongoing linky that's just for Women's Dresses... http://threadingmyway.blogspot.com/2012/01/threading-your-way-dresses-for-women.html

Sis-O said...

I love this and your mint cashmere rocks! Bravo for using the vintage fabric scrap from grandma.