Monday, April 11, 2011

Pillowcase Shirtdress Tutorial


I found this beautiful vintage large pillowcase at a garage sale. I love the yellow flowers all over it. I bought it knowing I would be making something to wear out of it. I opted for the shirtdress look.
Coming along for the journey?






First: find a top that you already own that resembles what you want to make with your pillowcase.


Then fold your pillowcase in half lengthwise, and then your top in half lengthwise and place it on top of the pillowcase.


Use a washable marker or dressmakers pen to trace along the outside of your top on the pillowcase. Give yourself  an extra inch. Learn from my mistake. Then cut it out.


After cutting the pillowcase into the shape you want, unfold and pin right sides facing.


Pin along the body and the shoulder. Then sew together. Try it on and make sure it's the desired shape of top you want on your figure. 


Next, I want you to turn the dress right side out and use single fold bias tape for the neckline and arm holes. Sew along the inside fold of the bias tape to the top of the neckline - starting from the middle back of your top.



Next, turn your dress inside out and fold over bias tape and sew all the way around. 


We are using bias tape mainly for the purpose of keeping the neckline and arm holes weighted down and because I didn't feel like sewing on a curve tonight. You don't have to use the bias tape if you don't want to.


Once you are finished, add some flare or finishing touches to your new top! I added fabric covered buttons I had lying around. 


And the shirtdress is finished! I plan on getting one of those wide buckled belts to wear at my high waist for this top. Spring time fun right?



6 comments:

MamaJ said...

You're simply amazing!!!!

Sanne said...

So simple! Pity nobody uses these long pillow cases around here (as far as I know)

Jaime said...

gorgeous!

Lil' Bit and Nan said...

Wow! Thanks all! I really enjoyed making this - it was super easy.

LAP said...

My favorite thing is that you retained the wide hem of the pillowcase! I love vintage linens, and single pillowcases are the easiest to find..

Maggie said...

Great idea. Looks lovely! X