Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Gift Idea #3: Neck Warmer


This is a great gift to make for the men in your life. I, myself have had a hard time finding ideas to make for the guys in my family. Until, I went to the mall the other day and passed by a kiosk that sold neck warmers and hand warmers, etc. I thought to myself, I could totally make that! And so I did. Lucky for you I made it into a tutorial as well. Here we go! Click "read more"




I took a manly looking fat quarter. I cut it in half so it measures 9in by 21in.


I then folded it in half again, lengthwise. Right sides facing each other, and pinned all open sides together.

Then I sewed along the pins, removing them as I go. I left an open piece at one of the ends.


Then pull the closed end through the open end, making it right side out.

Now, to fill it with something that can be warmed in the microwave and actually work for neck warming, I found you could use dry beans or rice. I filled mine with 4 - 4 1/2 cups of dry beans.

Now, this is should how your neck warmer should look after filling it. You want to leave it flexible, so the beans/rice can move freely about the inside of the neck warmer.

Now to sew up the open end. You can choose to do this by hand or by machine. I chose to do this by hand.

This is the finished product. Microwave for 30 sec to 1 min. ALWAYS store in a cool dry place.


No comments: